BadgesView all badges
Understanding sight problems for people with dementia
Dementia and Sight Loss is an eLearning module created to help social service, support workers and carers understand sight problems experienced by people with dementia.
The eLearning takes around 40 minutes to complete and uses film clips to demonstrate the leading causes of sight loss. There is also a personal account from Stewart who is living with sight loss and dementia. The module points to resources to support better access to eye health care. It also has an optional ‘action into practice’ section which encourages you to produce a piece of writing.
Completing the course will help you understand that:
- sight loss is a significant issue for older people
- sight loss is a significant issue for people with dementia
- sight loss and dementia both occur more often with age
- accessing eye health care is important.
To earn this Open Badge you must Complete the Dementia and Sight Loss eLearning to the satisfaction of your manager and then provide answers to the questions below as evidence for this badge.
- How and why did you come to access this learning resource?
- How will this have a positive inﬂuence on your future work practice?
- Where and how did you record your learning from these activities? Why did you record it in this way?
- Describe other learning and development opportunities that you are aware of and how you can access these to enable you to enhance your work practice.
- Provide an anonymous example of a piece of learning you have undertaken and explain how you put this learning into practice at work. What beneﬁts did you see from applying this learning to your work practice?
- Provide an anonymous example of how you have learnt from something that happened at work. What happened, what did you learn and how has this inﬂuenced your future work practice?
No other Open Badges are required. However, you must complete the Dementia and Sight Loss eLearning to the satisfaction of your manager before submitting your evidence for this badge.
In completing this piece of work write about speciﬁc learning, avoiding statements such as, “I learnt a lot which will help me in my work.” This short video tutorial about preparing and publishing your evidence will help you make sure your evidence meets the standard we are looking for. We will also accept links to audio or video statements if you prefer these formats.
The evidence you provide will be seen by anyone you show your badge to. Please don’t include confidential or private information within your evidence for this badge.
Your application will be assessed by RNIB staff and you will either receive your badge or a decision on your application within 28 days.